Issues related to food safety are a central point in the protection of public health. The legislation relating to issues of food safety, quality and nutrition have a focus on national and European level.
Checks to be carried out periodically, based on a risk assessment and with appropriate frequency, to achieve the objectives defined by the rules and regulations. It is important with regard to:
- a high level of health protection;
- the proper functioning of the food market;
- clear definitions to facilitate agreement about the definition of food;
- high quality and independent scientific studies on the basis of risk analysis in the field of food;
- respect for the rights of consumers and ensuring access to accurate information;
- the traceability of food products;
- the responsibility of market participants regarding the safety of food products.